Thursday, January 3, 2013

I know I have said this many times but I am in this for the long haul.


When I started my journey, I did not have a weight in mind to get down to, I had a goal of getting off as much of my medications as possible. I have managed to get off my acid reflux and cholesterol medications, as well as cut my blood pressure (water pill) medication in half and even was told I should be able to get off of it. I am still trying to get off of the water pill. I really believe that I have become addicted to the water pill and it is stuck in my brain that I need it to survive.
I have researched the water pill to see what it does to the body and I do not like what I have read. Not only does it force your body, and all of your tissue to squeeze out the water that it has, also it, in most case cause you to lose needed nutrition that is important to your health.  And that has meant for me that I am always fighting dry skin, at my ankles, feet, elbows and forehead. It also means that I am forever thirsty and have a dry mouth and throat. And of course it means getting up extra times at night to go to the bedroom.
What Are the Side Effects of Diuretics?
Like any drug, diuretics come with potential side effects. They can include:
·         Frequent urination. This may last for several hours after a dose.
·         Arrhythmia (abnormal heart rhythm)
·         Electrolyte abnormalities -- Blood test monitoring of blood chemistries or electrolytes, such as potassium, sodium, or kidney function, is important before and during drug use.
·         Extreme tiredness or weakness. These effects should decrease as your body adjusts to the medication. Call your doctor if these symptoms persist.
·         Muscle cramps or weakness. If you take potassium supplements, be sure that you are taking your potassium supplement correctly, if prescribed. Contact your doctor if these symptoms persist.
·         Dizziness , lightheadedness. Try rising more slowly when getting up from a lying or sitting position.
·         Blurred vision, confusion, headache, increased perspiration (sweating), and restlessness. If these effects are persistent or severe, contact your doctor.
·         Dehydration . Signs include dizziness, extreme thirst, excessive dryness of the mouth, decreased urine output, dark-colored urine, or constipation. If these symptoms occur, don't assume you need more fluids, call your doctor.
·         Fever sore throatcough, ringing in the ears, unusual bleeding or bruising, rapid and excessive weight loss. Contact your doctor right away.
·         Skin rash . Stop taking the medication and contact your doctor right away.
·         Loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, or muscle cramps. Be sure that you are taking your potassium supplement correctly, if prescribed.

At one point or another I have notice most of the side effects. At this time I am seeing issues with blurred vision and I am using eye moistening drops like crazy. And my eye doctor does say it is due to the water pill. Wow I just noticed one other site effect, ringing in my ears; I have had that for over 30 years, and guess what this is about how long I have been taking some form of water bill.
So as you see I have a lot of incentive to get off the water pills.

No comments:

Post a Comment