Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Today is just a few random thoughts that have run through my head

A question for all: What is most important some weight goal that you have pulled out of the air or that a doctor told you, you should be or a stable weight that makes you healthy, and you have the energy to do what you need and want to do? 

For me it is to have a stable weight range, and to be healthy and fit enough to do what I need and want to do.

We as humans always want more and that has not changed over my 70 years here on earth. But I have learned just in the past 7 years that if I listen to the needs of my body then my weight will be what it needs to be. I will have the fuel to do what I need to do, and I will not ever feel overly hungry or stuffed. Even at my age I can be standing up and lean over and tie my shoes. I can still ride my bike, my motorcycle, and hike to trails to seen the sights that this earth has for me to see. What we have to do is not pay so much attention to the numbers and just be as I say in-tune with our bodies. Once you are in-tune with your body your weight will take care of itself. 


There are so many better ways to determine health and fitness other than a number on the scale. 

I am 70 years young, I have never been in the hospital, not even born in one. I was found to have mild high blood pressure issues when I was 29 years old. For me it was stress in my life from getting out of the service with a wife and son to take care of. That stress let to me eating the wrong stuff. Over the years I gained and lost weight so many times I cannot even count them. My diet of choice was the Atkin's Diet or the South Beach Diet. With the Atkin's I just could not stick with it seeing my wife at that time made the best Mexican food I ever ate. With the South Beach Diet as long as I stuck to the first couple of phases of the Diet I could lose weight but then gain it back in the maintenance phase of the diet. When I found Loseit and calorie counting I believe I had really found it. I lost the weight but then my weight started climbing again even with my exercise and calorie counting and low calorie budget. I started looking for answers again. I have been managing my weight now for a while by checking my weight weekly excepting a weight range that is about 4 pounds wide. It allows for bad salt days mostly. Just before Memorial Day I decided I needed a break so I stopped counting calories and started logging what I ate in my journal. I have managed my weight to with in 4 pounds this way without counting calories. I have cut my stress levels at the same time by not worrying about the calorie budget everyday and I am eating less, due to less stress. I have also cut my blood pressure to the point I know longer need my medications on a daily bases. I now take my medication only if I have a bad salt day the day before. I can tell easily if that is true by my weight and my blood pressure. My medication is only a diuretic so it helps to keep the water down only. I can control my water weight also with apple cider vinegar and ginger. My last lab work was very good. My doctor said that most half my age have worse lab work. I could even improve my by exercising above what I am doing but I do not feel the need is there. I do resistance workouts and I walk about 10K steps a day. The key for me is lowering stress. I also fast about 14 hours out of 24 and sometimes as much as 17 hours out of 24. I also only eat 2 meals a day and I have limited my snacks each day to a quarter cup of unsalted mixed nuts. The last quick check I made on calories is that I eat about 1700-1800 calories a day, and I burn between 2000-2500 calories a day depending on what chores I have to do. So you would think I would be losing more weight. It is not happening because my body knows better than any of the calorie calculator we have and the devices we have to determine what calories we burn.  The calculators and the devices are just theory. And our bodies know best.

No comments:

Post a Comment