Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Who is in charge your mind or your body

This may sound crazy but I am going to explain something I have figured out over the last six years. We have to allow our body to be in charge of our weight management, out fitness, and our health. 
What am I talking about? If we listen to our minds we will do it wrong every time. We have to learn to listen to our bodies! Our bodies will tell us when it needs fuel, our bodies will tell us we are exercising enough, overdoing it, or not doing enough. Our bodies once we have cleaned up our diet and we eat only real food will tell us when it is truly needing fuel. It will tell us when we are over filling it too. 
I have learned over the years that if we allow our minds to rule our bodies we will over eat, we will set on the couch and watch TV, we will eat the foods that we find that looks good but are really bad for us. Oh then there are the ones of us that believe we can run that extra mile or climb that extra rock or just that distance that is really stupid once we fall and break something. We will only allow our bodies the control it deserves then a lot of this will not happen. I look at my body as leader and my mind as the devil made me do it. Our minds will always want to do more or less of what is bad or good for us. Normally it will want to do more harm than good. If we truly listen to our bodies it will tell us that it is getting the fuel it needs and the amount it needs. Our bodies will tell us it is getting the exercise it needs, or getting too much or not enough. We always want to push ourselves to within an inch of our max limits but Neve go over that limit and hurt ourselves. We can do that only by listening to our bodies. 
So how do we listen to our bodies. You start at the bottom of your feet and work your way up and mentally ask the question of your body how are the feet doing, are they hurting or are they okay. You work up your bodies and do the same for you leg muscles, knees, hips back, stomach, chest, neck and shoulders. Learn to tell the difference between being sore and being hurt. If you are sore then may be you need to rest a little more, by getting more sleep or maybe cutting back a little on your exercise for a day. If you are hurt then get it fixed. If you are feeling good push yourself to with in that inch and see the improvements that it brings. 
I am going to say this the only challenge that I like is the challenge I have with myself to be better today than I was yesterday, and to be better this week than I was last week. 
Now on to food! Eat real food, if it runs, flies, swims, and grows from the earth it is real food. Real food will keep your hormone system healed so your stomach can tell your brain that it is full or hungry and be honest about it. The more processed food you eat the more your hormone systems is going to be sick and out of balance. 
You have to learn to eat to never be hungry and at the same time eat just enough to be comfortably full. There is a fine line there that takes time to find and stay within the two points. 
Some talk about interment fasting, well that is I guess what I do for just after dinner time to breakfast time in the morning. I eat dinner at about 6 pm and do not eat again until breakfast which for me is between 9 and 10 in the morning. I also do something else that goes agains what the so called experts say I do my morning walk before breakfast and not after. It works for me.
My exercise is walking and I wall on after 6 miles without stopping in the morning before breakfast. I also do resistance workouts every other day. Again this is what works for me.
I diet is whole real foods, and I only practice portion control. Do not follow the recommendation for low fat this or that, low fat is a bunch of crap in my think. I drink whole milk, and I us real butter on my homemade bread. I eat the whole egg, and I have pork belly instead of bacon. I also eat a large full breakfast then snack the rest of the day up to dinner, then I have a fairly large dinner with a dinner salad, meat, and rice or potato, or pasta. I do not drink coffee and I have never liked coffee. I drink unsweetened tea, green tea, or water. I do not believe in using artificial sweeteners, I normally use raw local honey. Oh, yes for breakfast I have whey protein in my whole milk, and I have ginger root grated and added to my morning cup of hot tea, sweetened with honey. My snacks are easy, fruits, nuts, and veggies. I do love sardines, at time, and my wife cooks roast beef and makes my sandwich meat. 
Now on the my proof of concept: My starting weight back in 2010 Thanksgiving, was 290 pounds, by New Year's Day of 2011 when my new life really begins I had lost down to 280. By the first of the year 2012 I had lost down to 208. Then by the first of the year of 2013 I was averaging 197. I did really well up to February of 2014 when I was forced to retire due to my hearing. After retirement I was active but not watching my diet as closely and not walking the way I was everyday, I started gaining my weight back by the spring of 2016 I had regained back to 250, and I was on the verge of having to start back on my prescription medications. I asked to see a dietitian and found out that my BMR was not what it should be for my age weight , etc. The dietitian helped me with my portion control and I began my walking again. By the first of 2017 I was back down to 205, and as of this morning I am down to 189.6. No special diet, or special medications. Just hard work and doing what I always knew I should be doing. But I allowed my mind to control my body and not my body to control my mind. 
If we listen to or minds we will fail every time we have to really learn to listen to our bodies and let the body be the boss. 

Also I am going to say this, stress is your worst enemy, it makes you mind do things to your body that just should not be done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment