Thursday, November 16, 2017

A new way of thinking or the anti-diet way to life

This a slowly happened over a course of months starting the last week of June 2017. I had been dieting ever since Thanksgiving 2010. I had started using loseit.com the last week of July of 2011. I had started using a Fitbit the first week of August 2011. This all let to me going from 290 pounds at Thanksgiving of 2010, to my weight at this time of 187.8 pounds this morning. Back in June of this year my weight was about 195 and I was stuck, and I was tired of dieting. I slowly allowed myself to eat what I wanted, and I started really listening to my body to what I needed to eat and when I was really hungry. This process did not really take as long as I figured to start paying off. I am still logging on loseit.com but I no longer worry about the calories I eat and I do not worry about what I eat. I have a feeling of what my body needs now and I honor that by eating what it needs and or wants. I am getting to the point that I do not feel guilty if I decide to eat a cookie, ice cream, brownie or any thing else. I am also learning that my body needs and wants carbs more that I was wanting to eat them, as well as fats.

I stopped using the Fitbit devices in late September 2017 when I made the leap to Apple Watch, and I have to say that it changed me a lot. And actually it started a new round of weight loss for me. The watch has me up and standing and moving at least 12 hours a day for a few minutes so I earn a goal for the day. This I believe is important to keep me active and burning calories. With the Watch I am actually getting in more steps everyday than I was before, because I am more active. But I am showing less calories burned in Loseit, which is okay with me seeing I never ate back my calories burned anyway. 

This all started with me reading the book “The Diet Fix” which is about the fact that all diets fail sooner or later and I know that oh so well. Even while using Loseit and Fitbit I dropped to a low of 195 and started to gain back and gained up to 250. Then I finally turned it around a gain to manage to be where I am at today. I know oh so well that I could easily gain back again if I do not stay on top of my walking and my eating. But I have a new respect for my body’s needs, and I know now that if you deprive your body of any of the foods it needs then you will be forces to eat and eat to the point of over eating until your body finally gets what it needs. So the need to not deprive out bodies of what they need is the first rule to weight management. 

This week I found another really good book and read it, it is “Intuitive Eating”. It is the anti-diet book. It’s first real is to eat before you are too hungry and to stop eating before you are too full. It is all about not worrying about what you eat and to give your body what it needs. It is also about not worrying about your body and respect it and who you are. It also is about feeding yourself with what your body needs and not depriving it of any foods. It is about never weighing yourself because that is a negative thought. So Intuitive Eating is about the positives of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment