Friday, April 6, 2018

My body’s happy weight vs my ideal weight.

I know for some this is not what you want to read or hear. But I have to say it. We all have happy weight ranges, and normally that range does not line up with what the charts say we should weigh. Here is how it goes you try and try to get to that weight goal that you believe or you have been told you should weigh, maybe, you even get there. Then what happens you slowly begin to gain a little weight, you have not increased your calories, and you have not decreased your exercise, or maybe you have. But lets say you haven’t changed anything, and your weight is creeping up. 
Well, your body is making adjustments on its own to get back to that happy weight that it wants to be at. So what is happening your hormones are changing and maybe telling you that you need to eat more or you need something to eat that you haven’t been giving your body and it is forcing the issue. How sure are you that you are not really eating more? Or as has happened to me your body lowers your metabolism so you really should be eating less to keep the weight goal, but your body knows what it wants and it makes adjustment without you realizing it. This has happened to me twice now. This does happen and yes your body seems to know better than your will power. 
Our bodies seem to always find a way to over come our brains. So what can you do?
For me there is several things that I have tried that have worked. First I take it slow and do my best to figure out what has changed. 
Am I eating more? 
Am I getting less activity calories? 
Am I really sure I am logging everything? 
If I do not come up with a reason on my own then I fall back and go to a dietitian and or doctor and have my metabolism checked, and I make sure I do not have something else wrong with me. With me it has always been my metabolism has dropped. The standard answer has always been that I have not been eating enough, and also that as you grow older you need less calories, and to be honest you even burn less calories than what the calculations say. 
So what have I done to either lose more or to stop gaining?
It has been just keep my activity level up and try to eat less or more yes I said eat more. Sometimes your body needs more nutrition to lose weight. I have found if I am eating way to much below what I am burning I end up gaining weight because my metabolism will slow down.  And I just keep monitoring my weight and keep doing what I have been doing for a month at a time. Yes, make changes and stick with that change for a whole month to see what really happens. 
If after the month you did not get the results you believe you should then it is time to make other changes and stick to that change for a month. 
The other thing maybe you should do and I have been really giving it some thought, and that is to except my weight, and work to keep it where it is. As long as my health is good and my fitness is good why not?

This is just some thoughts that you may want to give thoughts to.  As you see I have more questions that real answers. 

2 comments:

  1. Charles: in your weight equations, do you factor in a balance between protein, carbs and fat? I keep finding that when I try to keep to 1 gram protein per pound of weight, 2 grams carbs per pound, and whatever fat is leftover (maybe 25%), otherwise known as the body builders diet, I tend to LOSE WEIGHT and some body fat %.
    So are you watching your macro nutrients as Lose It! shows? I think it’s only in Lose It! Premium.
    Gino

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I am eating on average about 100 grams of protein a day. If I tryed to do what you are saying I would have to double my calories that I eat. I weigh between 190 and 195 and like I say I am average 100 grams of protien, and I do come close to 200 grams of carbs a day. I am eating on average 1825 calories a day. I eat very little that is processed. I do eat fruits, veggies and meat. I also eat nuts mostly raw nuts. I do not drink my calories either.

    ReplyDelete