Friday, December 1, 2017

This Road to intuitive eating is a Roller Coaster Ride

The road is really a roller coaster ride. I have gone up enough that most would have given up and returned to dieting. But I believe it can work so I am riding this out. I said yesterday I believed that the weight I gained was due to the extra salt and this morning is proving me right, I am down a whole pound. I am still eating well below what it would take to make me gain weight as fast as I did. Now I am not saying I will not gain a little weight over all, I am say not as fast as I did this week. I am finding I have to really know myself and trust myself. That seems to be what it is taking to stay with this road to intuitive eating. 

I still feel myself stirring in the dieting directing at times and I have to fight with myself to stay the course that I want to go. I know I cannot allow the diet police back in my head, or I will be back on the wrong road of life. I also know I have to balance my nutrition with my need and desire to eat what was my forbidden fruit. I am seeing myself stir in the direction of wanting the right foods more and more, and I am seeing myself stir away from the foods that have the less nutrition. I believe it is because my body, really my hormones that are telling my brain what I really need. The trick here is to listen to be body and not to the desire for pure pleasure. Pleasure seems to be more and more going in the direction of the needed nutrition I need. I am hoping that it is a compromise between my old ways of dieting and my new way of intuitive eating. 

The battle in my head is becoming much less on thoughts of the diet and more on the thoughts of what I believe is best for me now. While I am not ready to let go of the logging of what I eat, it is becoming less of an issue for me. I guess that is due to the fact that I have always kept a journal of my thoughts. I am also still using the scale mostly due to the request of my doctor, I see it as just part of the daily blood pressure checks I do for my doctor. 

There is so much in this modern life that we do that we could not have imagined back when I was a child, or even a young adult. The TV went off the air after the evening news. There was I believe only the 3 networks. We got the news mostly from the news papers. The though of weighing ourselves was only something that happened at the doctor’s office or the school nurse would weigh us at the beginning and the end of the school year. I knew I was growing by the way I had to have new shoes and cloths every few months. We did not have the ads that slapped us in the face with our diet or even with food we should eat. Life has changed so much and I believe most of the change is for the worst and not the better. 

I am staying to the road to intuitive eating with its ups and downs and its detours. I am finding that it is much more interesting on the road to intuitive eating than it was on the road to this or that diet. I am not being told what I have to eat or should eat. I am enjoying again the foods I want to eat and I know from the messages I get from by stomach and body what I need to eat. It is amazing what you can learn from listening to your own body if you will take the time to do so. 

Speaking about listening I am finding that they are so right when they say to set your fork or spoon down half way through your meal and just listen to your stomach when you really do slow down and eat slower you do eat less. 


Well, until I think of something else to say I will say so long for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment